Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Creature Comfort



Grand Canyon University’s campus has a reputation, only known by the students and faculty, for housing numerous feral cats. Some of them are approachable and endearing, while others skitter away if a human comes within fifty feet. Today, in an attempt to avoid homework and other responsibilities, I visited one of my favorite short, four-legged, hair-covered people—Clover of the Eastern wall of the Ken Blanchard College of Business. I figured I should use his more regal, full title as this may be your first introduction to him. 

I always knew that I enjoyed the company of animals, but it never ceases to amaze me just how weighty the benefits of spending some time with an unassuming fur ball are.  

Perhaps it is because I grew up with animals that I find their presence so effective in my (seemingly) ongoing quest for lower stress levels. Perhaps it is because they are are great reason to procrastinate (in this case, I think poor Clover served this purpose). 
Pretty feral, I'd say.

But if I am being honest, what it narrows down to is that everyone needs the company of someone or something or some creature that will love them unconditionally. I believe that animals (cats, dogs, rabbits... it doesn't matter) provide this.

 This quote from the 2008 film Marley and Me (which made me cry enough to break down the Hoover dam) encompasses what I am getting at perfectly:

"A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary? "


College can be crazy. And if there is one place that makes me feel at home, it's with this little guy. He may not be mine--he may never be anyone's, but for forty-five minutes this afternoon, he made me feel extraordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment